THE PLANNED ATTACK WAS INTENDED TO DESTABILIZE THE COUNTRY, GOVERNMENT SAID IN A STATEMENT.
At least one military officer and some soldiers have also been picked up as part of investigations into the alleged attempted coup plot on Ghana’s presidency.
Information Minister, Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah noted that the soldiers are being interrogated and will be put forward in the court of law in the coming days.
“There are military persons including an officer who are in custody and being interrogated in connection with this incident,” Oppong-Nkrumah said in a radio interview.
MR OPPONG-NKRUMAH ALSO NOTED THAT THE ISSUE AT HAND CANNOT BE TRIVIALISED OR DISCUSSED ON SOCIAL MEDIA LIKE GHANAIANS WANT TO.
“This is not a matter that we can just trivialise or discuss on Facebook and WhatsApp platforms, we need to commend our security agencies. The group have put in place measures to procure instruments to execute their plans and have even started testing some of the instruments and that was why the Security Agencies had to step in immediately. From the brief given by the security agencies they have been monitoring the activities of a group of persons who had plans of overthrowing the government for about 15 months now”.
Government on Monday, September 23, 2019, announced a planned attack on the jubilee House had been detected and foiled by a combined team of CID and BNI operatives.
The planned attack was intended to destabilize the country, government said in a statement.
The said operation, according to a statement from the Information ministry, took place on Thursday, September 19, 2019.